Cambridge pond inches closer to renovation's end
9/23/08With wildlife and vegetation abounding, hundreds of residents of Cambridge and neighboring communities stroll, run, bike, or walk their pooch through this oasis with a pond, butterfly garden, designated wetland, and community garden just for starters. This popular Cambridge destination is the Fresh Pond Reservoir and it is Cambridge's drinking water source.
The land surrounding the Fresh Pond Reservoir has had many uses in the past: a soccer field, a dumpsite, and other industrial uses. Because of the many uses of this reservoir's land over the past century, it was in desperate need of a makeover. Part of that makeover involves the Northeast Sector Project.
"This is an area rich in biodiversity," said Chip Norton, Cambridge Watershed Manager. But he noted ithas struggled between its naturalist and recreational demands.
The first goal with the Northeast Sector Project was to protect the water supply and drainage to the pond, Norton said. Water flows through this reservoir's wooded areas over its paths natural filter system and creates a wetland habitat, Norton said.
This wetland is also "designed to take water from the Fresh Pond during dry summers," Norton said - a problem they didn't have this past season. Thanks to the rainy summer, the Fresh Pond is at 95 percent capacity, Norton said.
The wetland area is a corner of the reservoir that during the spring and summer times is teeming with colorful wildflowers, cat's tails, and a rocky pathway for the rainwater to flow into the pond. Now full of vegetation, this section of land that was once used as a soccer field also served as a practice site for firefighters, Norton said. Norton points out that the fire hydrants that dot this area are now used for watering vegetation.
The Northeast Sector project works with many contractors and conservation groups to enlist their knowledge in what would be best for this ecosystem, Norton said. This included bringing in experts when designing the Butterfly Meadow.
While still under construction, many parts of the Fresh Pond Reservoir are partitioned off from the public. There are miles of temporary fencing Norton said. "In an urban environment, it's the only way to ensure the area's established." The Northeast Sector project is "highly engineered" and will "hopefully be completed in a month," Norton said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent JSONS News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST JSONS NEWS
- Green restaurants continue to grow in Boston
- JR 595- Brazilians in Massachusetts react to the protests back home
- Starbucks calorie posting may have a down side
- Chinese students in America rethink one-child policy
- JR595 Games Beyond Entertainment Week：Play for Health
- 595 First generation college graduate
- JR595 South of Washington street
RECENT JSONS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections