MP/202/Female panel covers working in warzones
There is no bigger rush than "being there when history is unfolding in front of you."
That is what correspondent for the Associated Press Kimberly Dozier said to a room full of Emerson faculty and students during a panel discussion entitled "Women in the Warzone" on April 2, as part of Communication Week 2012 at Emerson College. The female panel members gathered to highlight the important aspects of working in war zones and how their gender may or may not have affected them. Dozier had a lot of experience in that area, recounting her days working for CBS in Baghdad.
Though she spoke of the dangers she encountered when overseas, she shared moments she was proud of. "Other news sources were catching up with me," Dozier said.
Other panel members, including Rima Vydmantas, a spokeswoman for the Consular Affairs Bureau at the U.S. Department of State, Kathy Eagen, a diplomat with the U.S. Department of State, Nadia Zaffar, a Pakistani journalism graduate student at Emerson, shared stories of hardships as well as words of advice.
Some of the discussion focused on the difficulties women may face when working in countries with very different culture, though sometimes it yields an advantage. "One important aspect is that women have an inside edge. Women want to talk to other women," Zaffar said. This, she said, gives a female journalist more to work with.
The entire panel emphasized the need to respect other cultures above all. "You are the guest of a country, war zone or not" said Rima Vydantas.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent JSONS News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST JSONS NEWS
- Green restaurants continue to grow in Boston
- JR 595- Brazilians in Massachusetts react to the protests back home
- Starbucks calorie posting may have a down side
- Chinese students in America rethink one-child policy
- JR595 Games Beyond Entertainment Week：Play for Health
- 595 First generation college graduate
- JR595 South of Washington street
RECENT JSONS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge