MP/202/Female panel covers working in warzones
There is no bigger rush than "being there when history is unfolding in front of you."
That is what correspondent for the Associated Press Kimberly Dozier said to a room full of Emerson faculty and students during a panel discussion entitled "Women in the Warzone" on April 2, as part of Communication Week 2012 at Emerson College. The female panel members gathered to highlight the important aspects of working in war zones and how their gender may or may not have affected them. Dozier had a lot of experience in that area, recounting her days working for CBS in Baghdad.
Though she spoke of the dangers she encountered when overseas, she shared moments she was proud of. "Other news sources were catching up with me," Dozier said.
Other panel members, including Rima Vydmantas, a spokeswoman for the Consular Affairs Bureau at the U.S. Department of State, Kathy Eagen, a diplomat with the U.S. Department of State, Nadia Zaffar, a Pakistani journalism graduate student at Emerson, shared stories of hardships as well as words of advice.
Some of the discussion focused on the difficulties women may face when working in countries with very different culture, though sometimes it yields an advantage. "One important aspect is that women have an inside edge. Women want to talk to other women," Zaffar said. This, she said, gives a female journalist more to work with.
The entire panel emphasized the need to respect other cultures above all. "You are the guest of a country, war zone or not" said Rima Vydantas.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent JSONS News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST JSONS NEWS
- Green restaurants continue to grow in Boston
- JR 595- Brazilians in Massachusetts react to the protests back home
- Starbucks calorie posting may have a down side
- Chinese students in America rethink one-child policy
- JR595 Games Beyond Entertainment Week：Play for Health
- 595 First generation college graduate
- JR595 South of Washington street
RECENT JSONS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus