Academy Award-winning Screenwriter joins Emerson College
9/30/09Oscar-winning documentarian, screenwriter, director, composer, author and producer, Sarah Kernochan has been named the Jane and Terry Semel Chair in screenwriting for this semester. The position was created to attract established screenwriters to Emerson College's Department of Visual and Media Arts.
Kernochan said she knew she wanted to be a writer by the time she was fourteen and composed a few short films during her childhood. After leaving Sarah Lawrence in 1968, she started working at "The Village Voice", first as a receptionist and then as a ghostwriter.
In the early 1970s she turned her attention to screenwriting, and wrote two documentaries. "Marjoe" won the Academy Award for Documentary Feature in 1972, "Thoth" won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Short Subject in 2002.
Later, she released two albums with RCA Records and published her novel Dry Hustle. Kernochan wrote the screenplays for "Dancers" (1987), "Impromptu" (1991) and "What Lies Beneath" (2000). She also co-wrote the screenplay for "Sommersby" (1993) and wrote the screenplay and directed The Hairy Bird (1998).
"And I thought, what else can I do?" Kernochan said.
Kernochan is teaching advanced undergraduate film students, guiding them as they complete their feature film scripts. Kernochan emphasizes that she treats the students as professionals, holding them to a professional standard.
"It is such an honor for us to welcome Sarah Kernochan to Emerson this semester as the Semel Screenwriting Chair. She is a truly renaissance person, as an accomplished novelist, singer/songwriter, Oscar-winning director and screenwriter. She brings a wealth of experience, high standards and the confidence of important achievement to teaching our students the joys and the craft of writing for the screen," Dean of the School of Art, Grafton Nunes said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent JSONS News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST JSONS NEWS
- Green restaurants continue to grow in Boston
- JR 595- Brazilians in Massachusetts react to the protests back home
- Starbucks calorie posting may have a down side
- Chinese students in America rethink one-child policy
- JR595 Games Beyond Entertainment Week：Play for Health
- 595 First generation college graduate
- JR595 South of Washington street
RECENT JSONS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Do More With Less
- New Treatment for Undiagnosed Sports Injuries -- From...
- Beat the Crowds: Visit Europe During the Shoulder Seasons
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Entries Now Open for 7th Annual College Sports Media Awards
- Rescue your Spring Break with new app dubbed the "Uber of Roadside Assistance"
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending