Academy Award-winning Screenwriter joins Emerson College
9/30/09Oscar-winning documentarian, screenwriter, director, composer, author and producer, Sarah Kernochan has been named the Jane and Terry Semel Chair in screenwriting for this semester. The position was created to attract established screenwriters to Emerson College's Department of Visual and Media Arts.
Kernochan said she knew she wanted to be a writer by the time she was fourteen and composed a few short films during her childhood. After leaving Sarah Lawrence in 1968, she started working at "The Village Voice", first as a receptionist and then as a ghostwriter.
In the early 1970s she turned her attention to screenwriting, and wrote two documentaries. "Marjoe" won the Academy Award for Documentary Feature in 1972, "Thoth" won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Short Subject in 2002.
Later, she released two albums with RCA Records and published her novel Dry Hustle. Kernochan wrote the screenplays for "Dancers" (1987), "Impromptu" (1991) and "What Lies Beneath" (2000). She also co-wrote the screenplay for "Sommersby" (1993) and wrote the screenplay and directed The Hairy Bird (1998).
"And I thought, what else can I do?" Kernochan said.
Kernochan is teaching advanced undergraduate film students, guiding them as they complete their feature film scripts. Kernochan emphasizes that she treats the students as professionals, holding them to a professional standard.
"It is such an honor for us to welcome Sarah Kernochan to Emerson this semester as the Semel Screenwriting Chair. She is a truly renaissance person, as an accomplished novelist, singer/songwriter, Oscar-winning director and screenwriter. She brings a wealth of experience, high standards and the confidence of important achievement to teaching our students the joys and the craft of writing for the screen," Dean of the School of Art, Grafton Nunes said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent JSONS News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST JSONS NEWS
- Green restaurants continue to grow in Boston
- JR 595- Brazilians in Massachusetts react to the protests back home
- Starbucks calorie posting may have a down side
- Chinese students in America rethink one-child policy
- JR595 Games Beyond Entertainment Week：Play for Health
- 595 First generation college graduate
- JR595 South of Washington street
RECENT JSONS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists